Instructor: Rabbi Yehoshua Soudakoff
Dates: Sundays, January 21 – April 7, 2024
Time: 4:00 – 5:30 pm EST; 1:00 – 2:30 PM PST; 2:00 – 3:30 PM MT
Where: Online – Zoom
For more than 3,000 years, Jews have inhabited the land of Israel. Sometimes our population there was minuscule, and sometimes we were in charge of the land. The Jewish connection to the land has never wavered through all this time, no matter how far we have wandered.
What is the story of the Land of Israel, as presented in 12 chapters?
- The Pre-Biblical Era
- The Patriarchs and Matriarchs
- Joshua’s Conquest and the period of the Judges
- The Davidic Monarchy and the First Temple
- The Babylonian and Persian Exiles
- The Second Temple Era and Hellenism
- The Roman Conquest and the fall of the Second Temple
- The Byzantine Era
- The Muslim-Crusader Wars and the Mamelukes
- The 400 years of Ottoman Rule
- The British Mandate
- The Rebirth of Modern Israel
Throughout the course, we will examine the archaeological record, learn what Jewish sources say about these historical eras, and explore how these events shaped Israel the way it is today.